Francis "Butch" Nestor - Rest In Peace - 06-09-44 - 02-27-09

Please use this area to post notice, and memorium of the former members of the 569th who have passed on.
johncope
Interesting Things about Yourself: Enter your info here

Francis "Butch" Nestor - Rest In Peace - 06-09-44 - 02-27-09

Post by johncope » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:29 pm

I received this email from a long time friend of Butch Nestor

John,

I don't know if Dave, Butch's brother, got in touch with you, but it is with GREAT sadness I tell you our amazing friend Francis Butch Nestor went to be with the LORD this past Friday. Brenda had called while I was out of town but chose not to leave a message and Dave called about an hour ago with the news. I had emailed you to tell you your site had made it possible for me to get back in touch with Butch and Brenda a couple years ago.

I have ONLY good memories of Butch. We worked together at the old Conejo News in Thousand Oaks, Calif. in 64 and 65, shared a house along with another guy by the name of Bob, and ran around Ventura county barely out of reach of the authorities most days and nights from May or June of 64 until I left for other parts of the country in March or April of 65 and never heard from or could find anything about him until a Google search for his name brought me to your 569th website.

Thanks for providing the means to get back with him before his passing.

Jerry Carpenter
John Copeland
Carto Platoon
August 1967 to April 1969

"..the older I get, the older I want to get..."
-- Keith Richards

johncope

Re: Francis "Butch" Nestor - Rest In Peace - 06-09-44 - 02-27-09

Post by johncope » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:40 pm

butch_brenda_sm.jpg
Butch and Brenda in Las Vegas 2002
butch_brenda_sm.jpg (22.81 KiB) Viewed 7485 times
Here are photos Butch submitted for the website:
http://www.569th.com/gallery/Photos_Fro ... index.html

Here is his original site profile written by him in 2002:
http://www.569th.com/soldiers/repro/bio/f_nestor.shtml
John Copeland
Carto Platoon

-- Keith Richards

johncope

Post by johncope » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:58 pm

When I met Butch here in Las Vegas with Brenda, his body was already withered and weak from his illness. But his spirits were always high and he handled it all with such grace. I both respect and admire him for that.
I am happy he had Brenda caring for him to the end. Life just isn't fair.
John Copeland
Carto Platoon

-- Keith Richards

jimmy

Post by jimmy » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:19 pm

I would like to share some of the memories of Butch during our time in Nam. Butch and I worked and hung together. I remember riding shotgun to Cam Ranh to pick up a new replacement, it turn out to be Butch. Butch was assigned to Repro Plt. He and I would eventially work on the presses together. One Sunday while still living in the old tent city area, it was Butches birthday. I go to the back of the houch and there is Butch celebrating his birthday drinking several bottles of champagne. First by the glass and the hell with the glass, right out of the bottle. All the time making the unpleasant facial expressions. Oh what was funny he didn't even like champagne. One night Butch and I went downtown. We was hanging out at the one of the bars. When we started talking to this guy in the navy. Turn out he was assigned to harbour and coastal patrol. Patterson was his name. Pat told Butch and I if we ever want to go with them just go to the navy dock in Cau Ba. Just bring your weapons just case things get out of hand out there. Cau Ba is town walking distance from our compound. So one night Butch and I took Pat up on his invite and went. We was out from 6pm to 6am the next morning. During the night we boarded some fishing boats with the navy guys checking for vc. It was adventure like right out of the movies. I guess when your young and dumb you don't think what could happen. Again it was rush. Butch and I would go downtown quite often but the navy on harbour patrol was the best. Oh! If your wondering who this is writing this about Butch? Its Jimmy "Ski".