Richard Leonard

I no longer have the time to do the manual updates and intros - Please add yourself as a Topic in this forum
Christine

Richard Leonard

Post by Christine » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:15 pm

My Dad, Richard (Dick or Rick) Leonard was a part of your company in Vietnam. He passed away earlier this year unexpectedly and we found a box of his old army medals and pins. With the help of the Wisconsin Veterans Museum, we've been able to determined he was a part of your engineering company. Just wondering if anyone might remember him? He was from Milwaukee Wisconsin and served in during the '65-'69 time period.
He never talked about his time there except for a funny story about a pig scaring him while he was on guard one night. We'd love to hear any stories you might have to share with us.
Sincerely,
Christine Leonard (Rick's oldest daughter)

admin
Site Admin

Re: Richard Leonard

Post by admin » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:15 am

Hi Christine,

I'm sorry to hear about your father.

I seem to recall a Dick Leonard, however it was so long ago that I can't say for sure.
If it is who I think it was I wasn't real close with him, so I don't believe he was in the "carto" platoon, but I recall him to be a good guy, more quiet and reserved.
The person I am thinking of was a slightly heavy set guy with a mellow and pleasant personality,... but I could be thinking of someone else. 40 years is a long time ago. ;-)

-- Do you have any old photographs of him or any other information on him?
(you can upload them as an attachment with your post)
-- do you know what type of work he did in the army?
-- What type of work did he do after the army?
(Many from our company went on to work in fields similar to what they did while in Nam)

We were made up of surveyors, mapmakers, draftsmen, graphic artists, and printers, as well as the normal support types of occupations - truck drivers, clerical workers, cooks, motor pool, etc.

I built this website in the hopes that we would be able to connect soldiers of the 569th and their families. Unfortunately we are all a bunch of "old farts" many of whom probably don't even own a computer, much less understand how to use a message board. Its been a bit of a disappointment for me that so few have found us and even fewer have made any posts or comments.

I hope that someone replies and can help you with more information. I will send our a email to registered members and hopefully someone will reply.

Best regards to you .

John Copeland

niobrara63
Interesting Things about Yourself: I'm not a into myself person. I give and support. That I guess would be the most interesting thing about me.

Post by niobrara63 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:29 am

'Hi Christinel.

My name is Parker Ferguson I live in Gold Canyon, Arizona --about 45 miles east of Phoenix, and I was with the orginal group of men who came from Fort Hood, Texas in 1965 to Viet Nam on the USS Breckinridge. I was part of the Survey Patoon. I just call two friends who were with the 569 and they do not remember your dad's name. I might add that both of these men do not have computers, and their name will probably never be on the web site, for they don't want computers :(

I have one more friend who left the 569 about 3 months after we arrived in Nam, and he supplied me with the two phone numbers of the men who I spoke about above. I will e mail Rev and see if he has any information but sense he left early I will asume he doesn't.

As John as mentioned any addtional information pictures, papers, even a object brought back will be helpful. The 569 took thousands of pictures, it just finding the right person----who has a computer--and then all will come together. I will let you know what Rev know's, but I have to say he is just a bit slow in returning his e mail.

Sorry to hear about your loss and also a member of a 569th. Don't give up and keep in touch.

Parker Ferguson
Parker Ferguson

Survey Platoon

July 1965----June 1966

suprcat
Interesting Things about Yourself: Enter your info here

Post by suprcat » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:37 pm

Christine,

I didn't know your father as I served after him.

Since he was with the 569th I'm sure he was a fine man , one that you could be proud of.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Frank Martin

Christine

Post by Christine » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:18 pm

Hello to everyone... Thank you so much for responding so quickly! I've attached some photos of my Dad (Rick Leonard) to see if that helps anyone remember him.
We know he was very interested in photography while he was in the service. We have piles of old photos he took while he was there. He went on to a career as a lithographer after the Army and ended up owning his own print shop.

Thank you, Christine (rick's daughter)
Attachments
010.jpg
(169.06 KiB) Downloaded 254 times
Last edited by Christine on Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Christine

Post by Christine » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:26 pm

A few more pictures of Rick (Dick) Leonard
Attachments
Dad in Army2.jpg
Rick (Dick) Leonard
(174.67 KiB) Downloaded 246 times
Dad in Army.jpg
Rick (Dick) Leonard
(187.92 KiB) Downloaded 242 times