Tom Lewis -- Repro/Survey -- Aug/65-Jan/67

I no longer have the time to do the manual updates and intros - Please add yourself as a Topic in this forum
admin
Site Admin

Tom Lewis -- Repro/Survey -- Aug/65-Jan/67

Post by admin » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:11 pm

On Wed Sep 11 12:56:55 2002,
The following information was submitted:
FIRST_NAME = Tom
LAST_NAME = Lewis
SUBMIT_BY = TLEWIS@bak.rr.com
TIME = Aug/65-Jan/67
PLATOON = Repro/Survey
ACTUALLY_DID = Platemaker/Hump Survey Equip
HOMETOWN = Mineola, NY
MOS = Platemaker
ETS = Jan 1968
BIRTH_DATE = Sep 20, 1946
FAMILY_STATUS =
LIVE_NOW = Tehachapi, California
PROFESSION = Income Tax Preparer (EA)
CONTACT_PHONE = 661.822.4330
EXPERIENCE = My number one memory is the boat trip. I have not been on a cruise since. The Breckinridge was built to transport 2500 troops and we had near 5000 aboard. The first guy in line for lunch was always standing behind the last guy in line for breakfast. I remember spending Christmas Eve in a trench when the VC decided since the latrines were the best constructed building's in camp, thay must be important enough to blow up. After my first year I extended for six months and transfered to the Survey Platoon. My must vivid memory there is from the rainy season. While working near Da Nang we drowned a 3/4 ton truck in a rice patty. After draging it out we had to tow it back to Da Nang. The area was flooded with knee deep water over the road way. We had to have a few guys walk out in front watching for the road edge. I was driving the "good" truck and CWO Keefe was riding on the roof like General Patton. Thousands of snakes floating by. While in the Repro Platoo!
n, we were able to spend many hours on the beach. One day while soaking up some sun and "33" a skyraider taking off past just over our heads and droped his bombs in the water and crashed. The pilot was able to get out just before the wreck went down. I guess the bombs are still there at the bottom of the bay.
AFTER_NAM = 35 years of living.
DOING_NOW = Well, currently its 2002. I'm selfemployed as a income tax preparer.
FUTURE_PLANS = Retire.
COMMENTS = I would like to hear from Russ Peska, John Watson and Larry Ballard from the Repro Platoon. I would also like to hear from Ricky Hudson from the survey Platoon. He and I left Viet Nam togather. We were working on a survey job about 50 miles north of Nha Trang and when we got the word we were going home we had to hitch hike back to Nha Trang down highway 1.

jgoodson
Interesting Things about Yourself: Enter your info here

Re: Tom Lewis -- Repro/Survey -- Aug/65-Jan/67

Post by jgoodson » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:38 pm

Tom – I am Jerry Goodson and I found this site only a few weeks ago. I have a post you may find interesting. I am sorry that my memory is not better than it is. I was part of the Carto Platoon and I cannot say for sure I know you. I cannot remember but about two or three of my buddies in my tent. And that is sad.

I also came over on the Breckenridge. That trip was one of the events that I will remember the rest of my life. My memory is short but I remember that a flying fish or a dolphin became a source of entertainment when it was spotted. It seams like everyone on board had to see it. We would run to the side and lean over trying not to miss it. I believe the ship also leaned with the extra weight.

I also remember having to remain below decks for several days after leaving Hawaii as we skirted a Typhoon and ended up off the coast of Japan. My compartment was about three levels down and next to the bow latrine. When the bow went up the water came out and spilled over the bulk head. What a day and night.

Reading some of the post by those that came later, they don’t have a clue as to what it was really like. By the time they came, all the hard work was done.

I do remember the attack on the night you mentioned. As things began to explode I was trying to become as flat as a piece of paper in my white underwear outside my tent in the sand. Like a lizard I was digging a hole with my arms and legs while keeping an eye out for something small and dark. Our weapons were locked up.

The rainy season lasted for about three months. We were storing the new maps in a tent and found out that it was below sea level because when it started raining water was about four feet deep where the tent was. All maps lost.

It was good reading your comments. Jerry Goodson, 713-320-9215 Cell, jgbg3273@sbcglobal.com.