John Lionel -- Carto -- December 11. 1968 to December 11, 19

I no longer have the time to do the manual updates and intros - Please add yourself as a Topic in this forum
admin
Site Admin

John Lionel -- Carto -- December 11. 1968 to December 11, 19

Post by admin » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:10 pm

On 2005-01-06 at 18:18:27,
The following information was submitted:

FIRST_NAME = John Lionel
LAST_NAME = Pierce
submit_by = jlpierce@csudh.edu
TIME = jlpierce@csudh.edu
PLATOON = Carto
Nam_Rank = Sp 4 - Sp 5
Final_Rank =
ACTUALLY_DID = Drafted maps, overlays.
HOMETOWN = Malibu, CA
MOS = 81C20
ETS = Dec 1969
BIRTH_DATE = 4 Oct 1946
FAMILY_STATUS =
LIVE_NOW = Long Beach, CA
PROFESSION = Art Director, Designer
CONTACT_PHONE = (310) 438-0419
EXPERIENCE = I remember making good friends in a really far away place where it was already the next day; I remember one day eating the biggest jumbo shrimp I've ever seen at a club on the top floor of an old French-colonial hotel across from the beach; I remember walking down empty streets in the "suburbs" of Nha Trang late at night trying to get back without getting caught; I remember watching F4s and F100s and WW II-era fighters strafing the mountains in the distance and dropping napalm; I remember the time some rockets landed near our company area and we spent most of the rest of the night in our bunkers feeling like maybe we really were in the war after all.
AFTER_NAM = After a few days at Ft. Lewis and a couple of weeks home, I moved to Long Beach to attend Cal State Long Beach. As you can see, I'm still here. I left Cal State in 1972 before graduating to try my hand as a free-lance illustrator. I wasn't making much money, so in 1973 I took a job as an Art Director for a small scuba diving magazine. When the economy took a dump in 1975, I used the rest of my GI Bill and went back to Cal State and finished my BFA.

After that, I worked as a free-lance illustrator and graphic designer for a variety of mostly small publishing companies. I wasn't making much money then either, but I had plenty of time to indulge myself as a painter. I even lived in a big loft in downtown Long Beach for a couple of years. Unfortunately, I didn't use the time I had back then to paint very much and I ended up drifting back into design to make a living. In 1978 I bought the house where I've lived for the past 26 years! It's just a two-bedroom, one-bath California bungalow, but I like it. I garden a little, redid the patio a couple of years ago and generally keep my self busy. Unfortunately, I've gained a lot of weight in the past few years. I hit 300 a year ago, but I'm down to about 280 now. Working out at the gym three times a week helps. Eating too much and sitting in front of a computer all day doesn't. I developed diabetes about 15 years ago and have some heart issues, but other than that, I feel pretty good.

From 1989 to 1996 I taught painting, drawing and design at Marymount College, a small two-year private school in Palos Verdes, CA. While at Marymount, I met my wife, Linda. She was in the housing office and we would run into each other in the mailroom. One thing led to another and we started dating. We were married in the Marymount chapel on September 30, 1995. We've been together now for almost ten years. Neither of us has kids, so it's just the two of us and our cat Renoir.

While I was teaching, I had the summers off and travelled to Europe for the first time in my life in 1991. I went back to France in 1992 and again in 1994. Stayed mostly in Paris and in Provence near Arles. Linda lived abroad for several years, mostly London, but we have never been to Europe together. We hope to get over there soon, maybe later this year.

DOING_NOW = When the enrollment dropped at Marymount College in 1996, I lost my faculty position. (It's hard being an "academic" when you only have the BA.) I continued working at Marymount for another year as an academic advisor, but my heart wasn't in it and I went back to my life as ain a designer, this time in a full-time position at Occidental College in Eagle Rock, CA near Pasadena. I had to learn how to use the computer and all the new technology. Up to this point I had never really touched one. It was quite a transition.

I was at Occidental for three years until I found my current position at California State University, Dominguez Hills, which is a lot closer to Long Beach. I've been here a little over five years now. With a little bit of luck, I'll be able to retire out of here.

FUTURE_PLANS = I am reasonably happy where I'm at now, but I think a lot about where I've been in my life and where I'm at now. I think of painting and art, but I don't seem to have much time to do it. I also think about Vietnam all those years ago when we were all young. And I think of all the guys who were less fortunate than we were.
COMMENTS = I really appreciate John Copeland taking the time to put this site together. It brings back a lot of memories and I know a lot of us have found some old friends because of it. Thanks, John.