R.I.P: Ken Wilkinson - Carto 68-69

I no longer have the time to do the manual updates and intros - Please add yourself as a Topic in this forum
admin
Site Admin

R.I.P: Ken Wilkinson - Carto 68-69

Post by admin » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:32 pm

080810Ken_Wilkinsonjq.png
080810Ken_Wilkinsonjq.png (113.89 KiB) Viewed 7091 times
Ken Wilkinson (Carto 68-69) died of multiple cancers and pneumonia on Saturday morning, August 7, 2010. The memorial service is tomorrow Wednesday, August 11, 2010, at Fairfax (VA) Presbyterian Church. Ken is being cremated and interred at Arlington National Cemetery as soon as the arrangements can be made. It was a shock to find out all the cancer he had.

Please post memories of Ken here:

admin
Site Admin

Re: R.I.P: Ken Wilkinson - Carto 68-69

Post by admin » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:46 pm

I remember Ken was good guy. Easy going and pleasant.
Social but not a crazy party guy.
It broke me up when I saw his photo.
How old was he? Such a shame.

I don't remember that much about Ken, where he was from or anything and he never did sign up on the site.
Its funny though... when I heard the name it all came back and I can see him now as if he was here.

It would be nice to get a bio of him to put on the site.

If anyone is in touch with his family or can add some details that would be great.

admin
Site Admin

Re: R.I.P: Ken Wilkinson - Carto 68-69

Post by admin » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:45 am

Here is a bio for Ken, provided to us by long time friend, co-worker and fellow 569th'er Elmer Knoderer

Ken Wilkinson, one of Dewberry's outstanding leaders and longtime managers, passed away early Saturday morning, August 7, at Inova Fairfax Hospital, in Fairfax, VA. He had been suffering from cancer, complicated by pneumonia.

Ken was born in Greenville, NC, on May 31, 1943. He was married to the former Diane Woods of Erie, PA, and Sanford, FL, for more than 40 years, and is survived by three children: Janet and her husband, Chris; Erin and her husband, Mike; and his son, Kenneth Christopher Wilkinson III, who also works at Dewberry. He also leaves behind three grandchildren.

Ken finished high school in a small coastal town in North Carolina called Belle Haven, and went on to attend East Carolina University at Greenville, NC, receiving a degree in Geography and later a master's degree, also in Geography a ECU. He then served with distinction in the Vietnam conflict, doing cartography and mapping with another of Dewberry's outstanding managers, Elmer Knoderer. Ken left the service with the rank E-5. Later Ken and Elmer roomed together in Arlington, VA, where they met two young women, also roommates, whom they both went on to marry. Ken then went to work for Prince William County as a Planner, during which time he earned a degree in City Planning from George Washington University.

Ken joined the firm of Dewberry in 1972, where he had participated in just about every division of Dewberry, beginning in what is now the Management and Consulting Services group; eventually moving in Land Design, where he assisted then principal, Archie Whisonant, to direct a group of some 800 engineers and surveyors. In between his other duties, Ken worked with Barry Dewberry, then CEO, to organize and "BAG" the various departments of Dewberry; "BAG" being the sometimes humorously used nickname for the Business Advisory Group. Ken also served as Dewberry Design Group's President until it merged into PSA-Dewberry Inc. Recently Ken directed the Peer Review Group of the company and headed up Dewberry's Mergers and Acquisitions section, where he successfully directed the integration of several acquired firms into Dewberry. Ken reported directly to the CEO, serving as one of the top officials of the organization.

Ken was a kind, generous, and honorable man. While usually quiet, he was a good and fun conversationalist with a quick laugh and an intense curiosity. He sincerely loved his wife and adored his children and family. He was a man with a big heart and will truly be missed.

Funeral services will be held on Wednesday, August 11, 2010, at the Fairfax Presbyterian Church, 10723 Main Street, Fairfax, VA, at 11 a.m., followed by a reception at the Country Club of Fairfax, 5110 Ox Road (Route 123) in Fairfax. He will be interred at Arlington National Cemetery at a later date. In lieu of flowers the family is requesting that donations be made to the Inova Fairfax Cancer Center, 3300 Gallows Road, Falls Church, VA, 22042.