What's Your Favorite Sport Team

I will periodically setup and combine Categories and Forums to try and keep things logical
jimmy

What's Your Favorite Sport Team

Post by jimmy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:59 am

My son and I are big Yankees, Jets, college basketball / Duke and college football / Norte Dame fans. We also watch just about all major sporting events. This July we will be going to the all-star game at Yankees Stadium. This is the last year for the old ballpark. The new Yankees Stadium will be opening in 2009. We are going to the last game at the end of the 2008 season, this is going to be monumental. We also will be going to opening day of the 2009 season. Drop me a line during any of the seasons to lets me know if any of you guys are into sports. Just another way to keep in touch Jimmy

johncope
Interesting Things about Yourself: Enter your info here

Re: What's Your Favorite Sport Team

Post by johncope » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:58 am

I follow college football and have to admit I have enjoyed watching Notre Dame flounder for the past years. I think they pulled the trigger too fast on Willingham. A coach needs 5 years to get their program in place. They brought in Weis and he went 19-6 with Willingham's teams, and then 3-9 with his team... they are improving but I think Notre Dame got what they deserve...

Northern teams just don't get all the good recruits like they used to.. TV exposure isn't just for ND and the Michigans and Penn States any more and the country finally has had a chance to see that great football is played in conferences that many didn't even know existed.

Being in Las Vegas I follow the Mountain West Conference and have happily watched them trounce Pac 10 teams and have Utah, and TCU get the respect they deserve. Now if UNLV can get things going on the football field I will die a happy man. I think they will get a bowl game this year. We'll see....
John Copeland
Carto Platoon
August 1967 to April 1969

"..the older I get, the older I want to get..."
-- Keith Richards

rponce

Post by rponce » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:13 pm

I am a Dodger fan since about the 1950s. Our local team is the Angels but I don't support them much. I have a lot of of baseball cards and memorabilia from the 50s and 60s. We have an outstanding college baseball team locally at Cal State Fullerton. They seem to always be in the college world series in Omaha. Right now I am watching the NCAA basketball tourney on tv. I like the teams from the east coast especially Duke and N.C.

johncope
Interesting Things about Yourself: Enter your info here

Re: Dodgers...

Post by johncope » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:54 am

I used to be a big Dodger baseball fan '75 through '95. From the Buckner, Garvey, Cey, Lopes era into the Hershiser, Piazza years. I followed them religiously through the International editions of USA Today and on Armed Forces Radio during the four years in the 80's when I lived in Germany. '88 Series was something special.

Dodgers have been lucky to have Vin Scully he always made even the slowest of game interesting. Baseball just doesn't excite me much anymore. I don't know if the steroids thing affected me or what. I'll still watch the occassional playoff game or world series game, but it was always more a radio game for me. I liked to listen while working at other things. It just isn't fast enough to keep me sitting on the couch for 3 hours.

The Manny Ramirez thing caught my attention for a while last year, but I just don't know the players much anymore and haven't made the effort to get to know them.
John Copeland
Carto Platoon
August 1967 to April 1969

"..the older I get, the older I want to get..."
-- Keith Richards

mimike
Interesting Things about Yourself: I served in several TOPO units in the '60's and '70's (655th,66th,524th and 649th) would like to establish a site for the other TOPO Co in VN, the 66th.
Would like info on TOPO units in general during the Cold War and VN era - numerical designations, where located, time frames units were there, inof on personnel - Commanders, Plt Leaders, Sergeants Major and First Sergeants, etc.

Post by mimike » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:59 am

San Diego Chargers. I've been a fan since they were in Los Angeles, I even tried out for the team in 1968.